This chutney is the perfect companion for idlis (steamed rice cakes), dosas and uttapams (south Indian rice pancakes).
- 1 cup fresh coconut grated
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 2 dry red chilies
- 7-8 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps oil
- Grind the coconut, garlic, 4-5 curry leaves and green chilies into a fine paste in the food processor.
- In a small pan, heat the oil; when hot add the mustard seeds; when they stop spluttering, fry urad dal until they are dark in color. Now add curry leaves and dry red chilies. Fry till the red chilies turn dark in color.
- Remove from the fire and add to the coconut paste.
- Add salt to taste and serve with Idli or Dosa or Upma.
Do You Know?
The smell of garlic is caused by allicin (diallyldisulfide-S-oxide), which is derived from precursors such as alliin (S-allyl-L-cysteine sulfoxide) by the enzyme alliinase which is liberated when the clove is broken up. The active compound resembles the well known drug N-acetyl-L-cysteine (Mucomyst), which has mucolytic and antioxidant properties.