- 10 potatoes, equal sized, each cut into half
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2-3 green chilies sliced in half vertically
- 1 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
- 1 tsp methi dana (fenugreek seeds)
- ½ tsp kalonji (black onion Seeds)
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp amchoor powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 lemon /lime
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan till it starts to smoke. Shut off heat till smoke settles down. Now turn the heat back on.
- Add chopped onions. Sauté till edges start to turn brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and potato pieces. Fry until potato is seared.
- Add remaining ingredients (except lime juice). Mix it well. Sprinkle 2-3 tbsp of water. Cover and reduce the heat.
- Cook covered for about 5-6 minutes or till potato is fork tender, dry and pickle fragrant.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Squeeze lemon and serve with Dal and Roti
Do You Know?
Searing (or pan searing) is a technique used in which the surface of the food is cooked at high temperature so a caramelized crust forms. Similar techniques, browning and blackening, are typically used to sear all sides of a particular piece of meat, fish, poultry, etc. before finishing it in the oven.